Tuesday, May 26

Pictures under construction

Well, it has been three days since Emily and I are back in Romania from our travels in Italy and France. Nils were with us during Venice, Bologna and Rome. He left back to Romania on the 19th I believe. Correct me if I am wrong, Nils or Emily. :)

As expected, there are many good pictures to keep. It is really hard to eliminate and keep the ones that we want to keep. Emily and I are very good photographers! :) I am hoping to finish our pictures by Thursday. I am predicting that I would take more pictures on Friday because Emily is taking me to Forscani to visit the deaf school there. Yep, Romania has a deaf school. Funny, Rory warned me not to be too heartbroken about whatever I saw in there. He is right... I need to not take too much into heart.

Interesting enough, on our way back home from Bucharest to Braila on the train, we met a deaf peddler who was illegally selling stuff. He said he bribed the "godfather" (that is what they call in Romania for the conductor -- Emily said the Romanian word is "naş") so he can sell his things on the train. Our conversation went well as we were able to gesture, use some ASL and Romanian sign language. The guy was very nice, initiating topics about America, work, and marriage. He is a bright man! Sad to see how he has to live in a degraded kind of life. It was nice of him to sit with us and chat for a little bit.

I enjoyed some kind of deaf interacion. :) I suspected that Emily sensed that because after he left and a little quiet as the train goes, she asked if I would like to meet more deaf people in Romania. She has ways to find them. I replied that it would be nice if I could but I don't know the Romanian language enough to work around and learn the Romanian sign language. -- We will see this Friday how we interact with the people there at the deaf school.

Another thought came... one student asked me something like, "Do you plan to do something for Romania?" I was not prepared to be asked by this question... It made me wonder. Do I want to work in the field of international deaf education? I may go back to that question later after I get some experience in American deaf education. Naturally every field has a need of improvement. I would want to start something that doesn't have any language barrier as for now. :)

Keep in tune for pictures this Thursday, I plan to have it all up in Piscasa Web album.

No comments: