Walking home from school, (Ace is using my car for work and the school is not far from my apt... only 20 minutes walk) I thought as I watch the drivers passing through, "Who were their teachers? How they become educated as they are now? Were their teachers good?"
As I am experiencing my first year of teaching, I have faced few things that are frustrating. Lack of materials to start with and lack of confidence (but in progress). However, I have a wonderful mentor who has been teaching for 12 years. She has been through and through about teaching the deaf kids. I am grateful that she is patient and encouraging me to perserve.
I arrived home and decided to read something positive to help me keep going and not give up. I read LDS Church's article by President Uchtdorf about the influence of righteous women. Wow. This article is a must-read for each woman in the world, religious or non-religious.
There are good quotes but one hit home...
President David O. McKay (1873–1970) said that the principal reason the Church was organized is “to make life sweet today, to give contentment to the heart today, to bring salvation today. … Some of us look forward to a time in the future—salvation and exaltation in the world to come—but today is part of eternity."
Tears streaming, I realized that I need to value the present. I need to realize that life is about progress not destination. I kept looking at what the kids should be doing but I realize I need to stop looking the future. "Today" is what I need to focus.
Naturally, I don't preach religion at school. But the principle of focusing on being happy today and help the children practice using their education and employing their brains is my duty.
4 comments:
Wow. Such a great thought to share! Thanks for that! It's nice to realize that the PRESENT is important and just as the future. And that now can be just as part of our "heaven" as the heaven we meet after this life. Wonderful message!!
Love ya!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ellen. You made some very valid points.
It's always difficult starting off in a new arena/job, learning all the ins and outs. Making sure not to cause bad waves and to get things to a place we'd like them to be.
That's a benefit to a new employee they are fresh and can add to what's already been established.
Taking a step at a time, is all we can do, before too long you'll think wow that time went by fast, one, two, three years later, and you are part of the furniture.
No one can ever find happiness always looking past what is here and now, and yet we always need goals to abtain. It can be a hard balance to find.
I wish you the best of luck! I know that your kids will just fall in love with you. If there is one thing having a daughter has taught me is to take things daily and enjoy them!
My mom has been a teacher for a long time both in school and out. She has two pieces of advice she tells all new teachers:
1. Don't smile till second sememster or you'll lose them.
2. The first day of your second year is better than any day from your first year.
Good luck! We gotta hang sometime. You going to silent weekend?
Post a Comment